Everyone knows it, but nobody likes to admit it: phone cases are dirty. We spend countless hours with them in our hands, and they come into contact with all kinds of surfaces, which makes them a hub for dirt and grime.
Most people pick up their phones dozens of times per day, transferring an untold number of germs and bacteria from your fingers to your phone case each time. Thankfully, cell phones and cell phone cases are easy to clean, all you need is some household products and a few minutes to spare.
This short guide will let you know how to clean phone cases to keep them at their hygienic best.
How Often Should I Clean my Phone Case?
Because most people use their phones (more or less) all day, everyday, cell phone cases should be cleaned on a regular basis. At a minimum, a monthly cleaning will stop the buildup of grime and keep your case looking fresh.
If yours has custom imagery, like a Harry Potter phone case, you should try cleaning yours a bit more often to make sure Hogwarts most distinguished students don't get covered up by a layer of grit.
In general, a weekly cleaning and disinfection is a good idea to prevent the buildup of the microscopic bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa that can cause disease.
What you Need to Clean Your Phone Case
All you need for a proper phone case cleaning are the following household products:
- Dish soap
- Warm water
- Microfiber cloth
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Baking soda
No matter what kind of phone case you have, whether you prefer generic cases or Mortal Kombat phone cases, a microfiber cloth is essential if you want to clean phone cases properly. Microfiber is the perfect material because it will not cause scratches, but it is absorbent enough to pick up microscopic debris and most moisture in one swipe.
With a combination of the right cleaning mixtures and microfiber cloths, you can effectively clean your phone case no matter what type of case it is without any damage.
How to Clean Your Phone Case
Here is a step-by-step breakdown of how to clean cell phone cases:
- Always take your phone out of the case before starting! Put your phone in a safe place while it is out of the case.
- Add a small amount of dish soap to a cup of warm water and mix thoroughly to create a cleaning solution.
- Use the soapy water and rub the phone case with your fingers or microfiber cloth to avoid scratches on the case. Make sure to clean both the inside and outside of the case, while paying special attention to the corners and any other hard-to-reach nooks and crannies.
- Rinse the soap off the case with water and let it dry or use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down. If you choose to let it air dry, make sure to give it enough time. If you don't wait long enough before putting the case back on your phone, the remaining moisture or trapped water could damage your electrical components.
Disinfecting Your Phone Case
Just like cleaning a phone case, disinfecting is a simple process:
- This point is worth repeating: Always take your phone out of the case before starting!
- Soak part of your microfiber cloth in isopropyl alcohol
- Using the alcohol-soaked soft cloth, wipe down the inside and the outside of your phone case.
- Using a dry cloth, wipe off the remaining isopropyl alcohol and let the case air dry for before putting the phone back in its place.
Have Stains on a Clear Phone Case? Put Baking Soda on Your Shopping List
If your phone case has tough stains, or you have a clear case that is starting to turn yellow, you should try using baking soda . Using a similar cleaning method, you can get tough stains off your phone case and keep it looking like new.
- In case you forgot: Always take your phone out of the case before starting!
- Spread baking soda over your phone case.
- Using a wet microfiber cloth, scrub the phone case thoroughly until all stains are removed.
- Rinse off the baking soda with clean water and use a soft cloth to wipe off the water before setting the case down to dry completely.
Let Your Phone Case Shine!
As you can see, keeping your cell phone case clean not as hard as many people think.For people with customized, branded cases, like Friends phone cases, sticking to a regular cleaning schedule will help protect your favorite characters and make sure that your case always looks it best.